Netball should be a safe, friendly and enjoyable experience for all young people. Wales Netball is committed to complying with the National Standards for Safeguarding and Protecting Children in Sport. We want to make sure that all children enjoy netball in a safe environment in which they are protected from any form of abuse. The policies and guidance in this area are designed to support all netball clubs to meet this goal.
Wales Netball will support all clubs to ensure that best practice is followed at all times. Safeguarding children is something all of us in netball are responsible for, whether you’re a parent, coach, volunteer, official or athlete.
What to do if you have a concern.
The following do’s and don’ts should be followed:
- Stay calm
- Show and tell the child that you are taking what he/she says seriously
- Reassure the child and stress she/he is not to blame
- Ask open questions but do not probe or put words into the child’s mouth
- Clarify anything you are uncertain of
- Be honest, explain that you will have to tell someone else to stop the abuse
- Make a note of what the child has said as soon as possible after the event
- Involve parents where appropriate
- Maintain confidentiality – only tell others if it will help to protect the child
- Follow National Governing Body Guidelines
- Rush into assumptions and actions that may be inappropriate
- Make promises you cannot keep
- You will need to make a written record of the facts using an incident report form
- Make the discloser keep repeating their concerns
- Take responsibility for further action
- Record opinion/hearsay/impressions – record only what was said or seen
If you have a concern about an individual or a situation, your first contact is your Club Welfare Officer, who will log the concern on our MyConcern platform and handle your concern in the first instance.
If you’re unable to reach your Club Welfare Officer, please get in touch with us directly on email@example.com or using the contact number below.
If you are a Club Welfare Officer, here’s where to log your concern: Login | MyConcern
If you have concerns. No action is not an option.
If you have any specific queries or wish to discuss a concern, please contact
Vicki Sutton at Wales Netball on